Thursday, September 8, 2011

The circle of life

Apparently I will only be titling my posts using catchy song lyrics.... you're welcome.

Until recently I thought I had my life all figured out-- I'd graduate and find a job at a school working as a counselor, be awesome at it, and live happily ever after while advising high school hooligans.  Not unreasonable, right? I could've been greedy and wished for a lot more...
Ok, a water slide would be pretty awesome
source
However, that's just not what was in the cards for me at this point. It's been a long summer of job hunting, which thankfully was full of supportive friends and family who encouraged me, put up with my nervous breakdowns, and weren't afraid to give me a hug and/or smack upside the head when I needed it. That is love right there.

And you know what? It all worked out. I am now employed! I'll be researching community mental health services, which ties together my passion for being a nerd and my love of helping others.

How did I land such a sweet gig, you ask? One word: nepotism... er, I mean networking. My oldest sister got hired by the same company this summer, through a friend with connections. So once she dazzled the bosses with her mad skillz, she passed along the favor and forwarded my resume to them.  Here's the texting exchange that went down when I told her the good news:

Me: Oh heyyy coworker!
Her: YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! Omggg soooo happy for you!!!
Me: THANK YOU! I obviously couldn't have done it without you!!!!
Her: It's the job circle of life, obv I had help getting this job!
Me: hahahaa annd now I will have the Lion King stuck in my head allll day
Her: Score.

Aside from the facts that a. my sister is awesome and b. my family clearly has a problem with overusing exclamation points, the real takeaway messages here are:
  • Don't give up/freak out if things don't go according to your plan. Adapt. 
  • Don't be afraid to swallow your pride and ask for help  (trust me, people will be happy to help you become a productive member of society)
  • Don't be afraid of rejection (it will happen and it will suck, but you will survive)
  • Keep networking! The whole six-degrees of separation theory can only work in your favor
  • Appreciate the wonderful people in your life and hang onto them... and of course, return/pass on the favor whenever possible!
So here's a big THANK YOU to my parents, sisters, boyfriend, best buds, faithful dog, and of course the Academy. You guys are what makes me feel like the luckiest girl in the world.
Best. Day. Ever.
source


p.s. I'm now off to go shopping because both of my parents, upon hearing the good news, immediately asked when I'd be shopping for dress clothes. Perhaps I should've worn something other than t-shirts and gym shorts this summer-- if only to remind them that I do, in fact, own real clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment