Tuesday, September 6, 2011

It was only a matter of time....

One thing I should explain: I am, and always have been, TERRIBLE at keeping a journal. Don't get me wrong, I love writing. I also love sharing the crazy thoughts that run through my head with anyone who will at least pretend to listen. Journaling should be second nature for me, right? Wrong. It's been the same old story since I was old enough to write.

Me: Look at this snazzy new Lisa Frank journal with purple pandas that has its own key! I will write my life story in it and cherish it forever. Plus it will save time when my adoring fans want me to write my autobiography. Genius! [pours soul into a lengthy/hilarious rant entry and sets journal aside until inspiration strikes again]

Fast forward 3 years

Older and Wiser Me: Oh my gosh, look at this ancient journal of mine! I can't wait to see all the things I wrote about all those years ago! [open to find there is only one entry] Well shoot.... ok from this point on, I will write in this every day! It will be the greatest journal ever! [rinse and repeat this cycle for the next 15 years]

Granted, technology has allowed me to move away from the glorious neon cartoon animals of Lisa Frank, but the issue still remains: I am terrible about keeping up with things like this.

It's interesting because one thing I learned in grad school is that journaling is pretty much a counselor's ace in the hole.

  • Client doesn't want to talk to you? Suggest they keep a journal as an ideal outlet because of its non-threatening nature.
  • Client has trouble consistently applying specific strategies/skills outside of sessions? Suggest they keep a journal to mark their progress and reinforce their positive assets.
  • Client has rejected every other suggestion you've made to help them? Suggest they keep a journal to stall for time until you can Google more counseling techniques.

So why do I have such an issue with writing more than one journal entry per year? I think part of the problem may be that I am a perfectionist-- every entry is expected to be funnier, deeper, perfecter (yes I just created that word) than the previous one... and that is a lot of pressure to put on something that is supposed to RELIEVE some of the stresses I put on myself in other areas of life. Goodness knows there are plenty of those-- why add something else to the mix? From this point forward, my goal is to take my own counseling advice and use this as an outlet and blog what is on my mind... without spending 3 hours geeking out tweaking and revising the entire post. Buckle up, it could be a bumpy ride!

p.s. Speaking of Lisa Frank, enjoy:

Lisa FrankUCBcomedy.com
Watch more comedy videos from the twisted minds of the UCB Theatre at UCBcomedy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment